DELHI - FEBRUARY 2008
The vast grounds of Lodi Gardens were established between 1444 and 1517, around four monuments of the Lodi dynasty. It seems that two historic villages were surrounding the surviving monuments - Mohammed Shah's Tomb, Sikander Lodi’s Tomb, Sheesh Gumbad and Bara Gumbad - when, in 1936, the villagers were relocated in order to create the present day gardens. They were landscaped by Lady Willingdon, wife of Governor-General of India, and named the «Lady Willingdon Park» upon its inauguration on April 9, 1936. In 1968, J.A Stein and Garrett Eckbo re-landscaped the gardens giving them their current form.
"GREEN - Lodi Gardens are a green haven, famous among the joggers of Delhi"
"MUHAMMAD SHAH TOMB - Muhammad Shah (1434-44) was the third ruler of Sayyid dynasty and his tomb, the earliest in the gardens, was built in 1444 by Ala-ud-din Alam Shah. Inspired by Mubarak Shah's tomb, it has a typical octagonal pattern with a central octagonal chamber, verandahs, three arched openings on each side and sloping buttress"
"SHEESH GUMBAD - This tomb is built in the usual square pattern, with a 'double-storied' appearance. One can still see the traces of the blue tiles that once adorned it and gave it the name of «Glazed dome». There are several graves inside it"
"BARA GUMBAD - Bara Gumbad or the Big Dome, constructed in 1494 during the reign of Sikandar Lodi, is an apparently two storied square tomb with an imposing dome. It has turrets on corners, arches, stuccowork and painting ornamenting the interiors. It is believed that the tomb belongs to an officer of high rank who served Sikandar Lodi"
"BARA GUMBAD MOSQUE - Besides the tomb, there is a mosque. Its rectangular prayer-hall has five arched openings and is a fine example of the early Mughal mosques"
"DECORATIONS - Quran inscriptions ornament this mosque"
"GARDENS -The watercourse used to be linked to the Yamuna River"
"SIKANDAR LODHI'S TOMB, constructed by Ibrahim Lodi in 1517, is also built in the octagonal tomb pattern, like Muhammad Shah's tomb. The chhatris over its roof however, are no longer seen"
"ATHPULA BRIDGE - Named «Eight Piers Bridge» as it rests on eight piers, forming seven arches, it was built by Nawab Bahadur in the 16th century, during Akbar's reign"