JAIPUR - FEBRUARY 2008
Nahargarh Fort, located on the steep rocky edge of Aravali Hills and offering a spectacular view of Jaipur, is the first of the three forts built by Maharaja Jai Sawai Singh, in 1734 (it was extended later in 1868). The Fort was constructed to support the security of Amber and, as "Nahargarh" means "the Abode of Tigers", it is also known as the Tiger Fort. According to a legend, the Fort was named after Prince Nahar Singh, whose spirit haunted the construction site. After a tantrik ritual, the ghost agreed to leave the fort on the condition that it was named after him.
There are numerous buildings located inside the Fort and amongst them, the Madhavendra Bhawan (palace) is the most impressive. Built by Sawai Ram Singh II has uniquely a cluster of 9 identical suites for queens and a suite for the king himself.
"DECORATION - Needing some refurbishing..."
"JAIPUR - The view from the Fort is fantastic"
"SUNSET - The Padao Restaurant on the west side of the Fort provides an excellent viewpoint to enjoy the fabulous sunset"
"JAL MAHAL - Another major attraction of the Fort is view it provides the Man Sagar Lake and the Jal Mahal or Water Palace. Inspired by the Lake Palace in Udaipur, Jal Mahal was built in the 18th century and was mainly used for royal duck shooting parties"